Manchester's black cab drivers are warning that "hundreds" of taxis could be "forced off" the roads at the stroke of midnight on New Year's Eve, as new emissions rules loom.
The January 1, 2026, deadline for compliance with Greater Manchester's Clean Air Plan is triggering fears of a mass exodus, with drivers citing a lack of affordable vehicle upgrades and a crippling supply chain crisis.
The crux of the issue lies in the government's £8 million "clean taxi fund," far short of the £30 million initially requested by local leaders.
"They are expecting 1,350 vehicles to upgrade between now and December 31 [across Greater Manchester]," said Nayyer Ahmad, a Manchester hackney driver of 24 years. "It’s £95-£100,000 for a new cab. There’s very little available on the second-hand market. It physically cannot be done for 1,350 drivers."
Adding to the drivers' woes, the cost of compliant vehicles, both new and used, remains prohibitive.
"The electric cabs are horrendously expensive. That's about £100k when you factor in insurance. And there's no charging points," an anonymous cabbie of 14 years explained. "Traditional London taxis stopped being made in 2017. There's the minibus type, Mercedes Vito, but they come out of the factory as a van and they are converted by a company in the Midlands. There's a huge waiting list for them."
Drivers estimate that 766 of Manchester's 1,100 black cabs could become "obsolete" next year. Ahmad, 58, expressed his distress, stating: "The black cab is a national symbol."
He and other drivers are now pleading for authorities to extend the lifespan of their vehicles to the standard 15-year limit when cabs are usually barred from Manchester’s roads. "We are asking, let these vehicles run to 15 years," he said. "But to force everyone on one cut-off date will wipe everyone out."
In response, Manchester Council has indicated a willingness to consider extending the compliance date.
A spokesperson stated: "Officers are already preparing a report to recommend the relaxation of the compliance date and exemptions for licensees, to allow vehicle owners a longer period to switch to a vehicle that conforms to the new standards."
Transport for Greater Manchester has also announced "proposed measures" to support the taxi trade, set to be published on April 16, followed by a 12-week engagement period.
A spokesperson said: "The mayor and the city-region’s ten leaders want to not only improve taxi standards, but safeguard and support the livelihoods of Greater Manchester-licensed drivers."
Until now, Hart DC licensed vehicles have been MOT and tick tested.
The council is currently consulting on the idea that CCTV could become compulsory in taxis, including both hackney carriages and private hire vehicles.
Huw Isaac and David McIntosh, Need-a-cab? bosses, have penned a letter to Plymouth City Council alleging Uber is drastically undercutting established operators.
Abdul Musaher, 35, from Scunthorpe, pleaded guilty at Grimsby Magistrates’ Court on 18 March 2025 to driving a licensed ‘taxi’ vehicle after his licence had been revoked.
Despite advertising the consultation in local newspapers, on the council's website, and directly to taxi drivers, no members of the public provided feedback.
The incident unfolded after the taxi driver picked up a fare on Ebenezer Street on Thursday, 27 March.
The controversy stems from a policy, which came into effect on 1 April, stating that vehicles being licensed for the first time must be five years old or less, compared to the previous 15-year limit.
Dumfries and Galloway Council is exploring ways to improve access to taxis and (WAVs) following the findings of an independent survey carried out on behalf of the council.
Warrington Borough Council is inviting drivers and members of the public to take part in a consultation on proposed changes to its taxi licensing policy.
Huntingdonshire District Council (HDC) has revealed a concerning number of driver convictions, road traffic accidents, and vehicle defects within its private hire sector, leading to multiple licence suspensions and revoc
Norwich City Council's proposal to increase hackney carriage tariffs has been welcomed by black cab drivers, but they argue that they still lag behind private hire firms in earning potential.
"A taxi driver was pushed and then grabbed around the throat by a man outside of his car," confirmed a police appeal.
The delays, attributed to issues with a new online system, have caused substantial disruption, with some drivers waiting months for their licences.
The incident, involving Magnum Private Hire, occurred on 22 March, after the mother booked a ride for herself, her baby, and her toddler.
The incident, which occurred at approximately 3:30pm at the junction of Durban Road and Humberstone Road, left a rear window shattered and occupants "extremely shaken," according to witnesses.
Uber announced its arrival stating it would "give passengers greater transport options" and "provide new earning opportunities for local drivers."
The new Taxi and Private Hire Action Plan sets out a number of bold actions that will help to make positive changes in these industries and enable it to continue to provide excellent services for Londoners
Northern Ireland's Infrastructure Minister, Liz Kimmins, has announced a phased review of taxi policy and legislation, beginning with Class C taxi licensing, which includes wedding cars and Uber.
The incident, which occurred in Abergavenny on 27 February, 2021, also saw Griffiths "charge like a bull" at a police officer attempting to arrest him, punching him in the head.
The teenager alleged that driver Dennis Nutt had been rude and dismissive during the journey, referring to a "junkie" over the radio, which she believed was directed at her.